A futuristic stunt-attack racing game which generates tracks from music.
“I'm pretty sure at one point I didn't blink for an hour, and the game was so engrossing I didn't even notice.”Sean Flint, IndieGames.com
About the project
Riff Racer is a high-octane music based racing game where players can create racetracks from the songs in their music collection. It's available for Windows PCs from Steam, and for iOS devices from the App Store. The iOS version game supports streaming with Apple Music.
Riff Racer's MEGA (Musical Environment Gaming Algorithm) takes any song, analyses it down to its core components and creates a unique racing experience from it. Verses, choruses and drops become checkpoints, and the environment and cars are styled to the genre of music being played.
My duties on the project included:
- Working with the FOAM team on game design.
- Art directing Riff Racer's retro-futuristic look.
- Art directing and commissioning the design and modelling of the game's vehicles.
- Creating unique colour pallettes for each genre of music.
- Designing the UI for the game which works across multiple languages and alphabets.
- Creating Riff Racer's branding.
- Working with the dev team to test and refine the game's user experience. Creating the game's branding.
Branding, icons & UI
App store & social media
Riff Racer gained a 91% approval rating on Steam before launching on iOS with a global feature from Apple. It's the first iOS game to feature support for streaming with Apple Music and was TouchArcade's Game of the Week on launch.
- FOAM Entertainment
- Creative Directors
- Phil Clandillon & Steve Milbourne
- Simon Poon Tip
- Graphic & UI/UX Designer
- Andy Goodridge
- Andrew Hammond
- 3D Artist
- Jon Botros
- Ritchie Brannan (PC) & Philip Tossell (iOS)